We dwell in a superficial society
Where materialism reigns and ridiculed is piety
In the value of humanity, inconsiderable regard is given
By looks and status, people's lusts are driven
In a world where spirituality holds little recognition
And the meaning of freedom changed in definition
There isn't a doubt that the vines of vanity
Have pulled us into a moral calamity
While we seek flashy possessions, that car yonder or that pair of shoes
We tend to neglect the dues
That we haven't yet paid to the One and Only
And what shall we do when we find ourselves lonely...
Beneath the dust, within our graves--like those from before?
Oh Allah, we can only knock on your Mercy's door
Your compassion surpasses, by far, Your displeasure
For You provided in our hearts a treasure of unfathomable measure
A banner inscribed with Your word-- carrying a meaning so profound
One that would nourish the soul, keeping it serene and sound
So strong is its power that it flings a world of sin far away
On the scale of deeds on Judgment Day
But only if we belief in its meaning's worth
And live by it on our journey through our life on Earth
Yet the vines of vanity cease not to take hold
Of our nafs--and let truth be told...
Life may seem at times very unpleasant
But remember; for us is the hereafter and their's is the present
So hold onto the banner--heaven's only key
For the truth will ultimately set us free
Oh Child of Adam, you are to the world a gift
So play your given role, don't transgress before the Great Shift
Catch onto the wave of faith, hold on to the Quran and Sunnah
Remember the calling of the Beloved who'll cry "My Ummah, My Ummah!"
Before your soul rises to the life after that
Before the seas turn dry and the mountains, flat
Rise! Lift this banner proudly and give it genuine care
The message the beloved Prophet carried to the world to share
Free the self from these bounding chains
And soon enough the soul will rid of its pounding pains
Oh vines of vanity--go back to where you came from!
Dust we will become, as once before--and to Allah we shall come...
*word = the Shahadah
Layla Khayyam
Labels: Islamic

MashaAllah, I like the flow of the poem and the way that the rhyming words actually fit together rather than simply being there for the purpose of rhyme.
In terms of meaning, you outline the problem we face but then you follow it up with the solution - submission to Allah. A lot of poetry simply outlines one's dispair and sadness but offers no light at the end of the tunnel. But there is light, Allah's noor, and you've done well to convey that.
Ok, I'm gonna shut up now.
Musaafir said...
March 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM
wow MashAllah, that was truly an amazing poem. As Muasaafir said, it flows beautifully and the content of the poem is really worth reading.
keep them coming inshAllah:D
Muslima21 said...
March 15, 2008 at 7:40 AM
Salaam
MashaAllah some very nice poems sis. Erm, im Umar who owns IslamicNature.com. I saw that you had a link to my site, jzk for that.
I wanted to let you know about IslamicInk.com if you dont know already. We're offering free islamic blog hosting and users can import from blogger, if your interested move over to islamicink i'A, if not then khair.
tc ws
Umar
Unknown said...
March 30, 2008 at 7:17 AM
Assalamu alaykum everyone,
JazakumAllahu khair for your kind comments. May Allah swt bless you all and unite us in the Ferdous, Ameen
Musaafir,
Dude, don't say that you should shut up. Thanks for the awesome analysis :)
Keekee,
Thanks luv, I will try to post up some more poems in due time. I hope you enjoy the rest of the poems on here like you enjoyed this one :P
Umar,
JazakaAllahu khair for the offer. I shall think it over inshaAllah. For now, it easy for me to use blogspot because its what I am best familiar with...
Wasalamualaykumwarahmatullah,
L.K.
Layla Khayyam said...
March 30, 2008 at 6:48 PM
wow, nice one! I really like this one. mashaAllah!
Anonymous said...
April 4, 2008 at 8:16 PM
JazakilAllahu khair Eternal Glory :)
A Rose for you:
@>--`,--`,-`,--<
Layla Khayyam said...
April 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM
That's really good Masha Allah!
Sounds a lot like a Spoken Word kinda thing. I could never do Spoken Word. :P
f said...
April 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM
I love Spoken Word the problem is I'm bes at improving it. Brilliance comes, is spoken , and then leaves me.
In any event props on the poem. mA, flows well, I thought the title read "Veins" as opposed to "Vines". My mistake but either way they transport necessary nutrient to a source. And without that source it would die. Appropriately titled.
:)
PerplxinTexan♥ said...
May 18, 2008 at 6:55 AM